Welcome to the future.
With Superior Drummer 3, Toontrack have once again completely shifted the boundaries of what is possible with drum software. Much more than simply a drum production tool, Superior Drummer 3 is a virtual studio which provides infinite drum shaping possibilities.
What are the new features in SD3?
Superior Drummer 3 boast a new engine that has been completely redesigned from the ground up, so there are a huge number of new features to improve your workflow but here is a selection;
- In excess of 230 GB of raw, unprocessed sounds in 44.1 kHz/24 bit
- Recorded with an additional eleven separate room microphones set
- Up in a surround configuration for a complete immersive experience
- Playback in stereo or up to 11 channel surround systems
- Engineered by George Massenburg
- Integrated offline audio to MIDI conversion
- Approx. 350 vintage and classic drum machine sounds
- 35 mixer effects
- New and improved scalable interface with detachable windows
- Edit Play Style, Tap2Find, Song Creator and Song Track features as well as improved workflow and search functionality
- Built-in MIDI grid editor
- DAW automation for built-in macro controls
- Drag & drop and import for individual and third party samples
- Support for keyboard shortcuts
Superior Drummer 3 is available to buy now!
How will Superior Drummer 3 be delivered to me?
You have two options;
- Once you purchase Superior Drummer 3, a serial number will be delivered to you via e-mail which enables you to register and download the 230 GB core library using the Toontrack Product Manager.
- If downloading is an issue then you can purchase the 230 GB core library on a solid-state drive (SSD) which can be ordered here.
Please note: The SSD is available to buy at an additional cost to your Superior Drummer 3 license.
I’m a Superior Drummer 2 user, can I upgrade to Superior Drummer 3?
Of course. Registered Superior Drummer 2 users can save 50% by purchasing the Superior Drummer 3 upgrade which can be ordered now via the Time+Space website.
I’m an EZdrummer 2 user, can I crossgrade to Superior Drummer 3?
Sure. As a registered EZdrummer 2 user you qualify for a 25% discount with the Superior Drummer 3 crossgrade which can be ordered now via the Time+Space website.
Firstly, you’ll be saving big compared to first-time buyers. On top of this, the transition to Superior Drummer 3 will be a very easy one, with all your previously installed MIDI, Producer Presets, SDX & EZX libraries working in SD3 straight away, meaning you can pick up where you left off.
Need more convincing? Click on each of the two images on the right to see a comparison chart of Superior Drummer 2 vs 3. There’s also a handy video on our Crossgrade and Upgrade product pages that explains the benefits of buying Superior Drummer 3.
What are the minimum system requirements for Superior Drummer 3?
The system requirements for Superior Drummer 3 are as follows:
- Mac OS X 10.6 or higher, 64-bit Intel-based Mac with 4 GB RAM (8 GB RAM or more recommended). 64-bit host (with support for VST, AU or AAX).
- 64-bit Windows 7 or newer, 4 GB RAM (8 GB RAM or more recommended).
- Standalone is included.
How big is Superior Drummer 3?
The SD3 core sound library is just over 230 GB. Here’s how it breaks down:
SOFTWARE: Approx. 320 MB download and installation space.
Basic install: Approx. 41 GB download and an additional 41 GB for the installation process.
Complete install: Approx. 236 GB download and an additional 55 GB for the installation process.
SSD install (optional): Approx. 236 GB pre-installed.
Will my SDX expansions work in Superior Drummer 3?
Sure, and so will your EZXs too! Plus, your already installed SDXs will be updated with new custom graphics and presets.
When I install Superior Drummer 3 will it replace Superior Drummer 2 on my computer?
Installing Superior Drummer 3 does not overwrite an existing Superior Drummer 2 installation, both instruments will remain on your system. Also, any S2.0 Producer Presets you have purchased or created from scratch in Superior 2 will be translated to work in Superior Drummer 3.
What is 11.1, 9.1, 7.1 and 5.1 surround?
These are surround sound output configurations that Superior Drummer 3 engineer George Massenburg recorded using multiple extra ambience microphones in such a way that they can be seamlessly output to 2, 5, 7, 9, and 11 channel systems. Of course, not everyone is lucky enough to have a surround sound system in their studio so Toontrack have made sure that these extra ambience channels can be mixed in normally just like any other channel for the traditional stereo user.
Will Superior Drummer 2 still be available once Superior Drummer 3 is released?
Superior Drummer 2 has now been discontinued (as of September 12th) although it will work and will be supported throughout the transition.
Click here for full details about Superior Drummer 3