Chromaphone uses acoustic resonators to create drums, percussion, mallet, string, and other unique instruments. They get sparked into life by a mallet and a flexible noise generator. Chromaphone is an atelier for musicians and producers. At the turn of a few knobs, become an instrument maker, shaping metal, carving wood, and stretching skins. Craft and play expressive and responsive instruments that have a real-life presence.
AAS have brought Chromaphone to a whole new level—it is now an incredibly versatile instrument.
- NEW Factory library - The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.
- NEW Drumhead resonator - This new model reproduces precisely how a real drumhead vibrates resulting in super realistic and responsive drums and percussions.
- NEW Envelope mode - The envelope generator for the noise source is now equipped with an AHD mode for carving precise one-shots.
- NEW Noise filter bank - The noise source spectrum can now be tailored with a 10-band filter bank for fine control of the tone.
- NEW Low-cut filter - Resonators have been complemented with a low-cut filter to control the clarity of an instrument response.
- NEW Arpeggiator - Add motion and give a new perspective to sounds with the new built-in arpeggiator module.
- NEW Source mixer - Fine control of the mallet and noise sources to shape the attack and sustain phase of sounds with precision.
- NEW Compressor and equalizer - These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.
- NEW Limiter - The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth’s parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.
- NEW Streamlined interface - Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides Chromaphone 2 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.
- NEW Microtonal tunings via Scala scale files - Chromaphone 2 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.
- UPDATED Overhauled effects - Reinvigorated and polished, Chromaphone 2’s multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date!
- NEAT Backward compatible with Chromaphone 1 presets - Simply copy your banks from Chromaphone 1 in Chromaphone 2‘s bank folder to convert them.
Library - Chromaphone 2 is packed with more than 650 presets from the best sound designers. Instruments span from warm and mellow pitched percussions for melodies to punchy one-shots and kits for rhythm tracks. Twisted, they generate unique textures and soundscapes that will move any film score. Whether real, other-wordly, or with an ethnic touch, Chromaphone will fill your music with rich and organic tones.
Performance - Chromaphone 2 ships with premium performance features: unison, vibrato, and a complete set of MIDI features. And for even more action, Chromaphone provides a user programmable pattern arpeggiator and shortcuts to the high quality effects.
Edition - Modeling based synthesis gives you access to all source and resonator parameters. Customize instruments to perfectly fit your project or follow your inspiration and build entirely new ones for really creative and innovative sound design.
Effects - The Effects panel wraps up Chromaphone 2 as an all-inclusive package with awesome polishing tools.
Arpeggiator - Ready, willing, and able, Chromaphone 2’s arpeggiator offers various syncing resolutions, playing algorithms, and rhythmic patterns that will spruce up any chord progressions into percolating melodies or pulsing sequences.
One-shot revolution - One-shots are no longer limited to the velocity dimension. Chromaphone uses the entire keyboard range to modulate volume, mallet noise and stiffness, noise filter frequency and density, hit position, and coupling to open a whole world of expressive sounds—and that in a totally stepless fashion.
Creative drum kits - Chromaphone ships with ready-made creative kit patches where each note provides a new sound slightly different from the previous one. Over the entire keyboard range the sound morphs from bass drum to snare to hi-hat. Discover a mixture of electronic and acoustic qualities intertwined to form highly playable, addictive, and always fresh drum sounds.
Resonate - Instruments are created by combining acoustic resonators. A wooden bar makes a xylophone, turned metallic it becomes a glockenspiel. Adding a tube transforms it into a vibraphone or marimba. Plates shape up in bells and cymbals. A drumhead combined with a cylinder becomes a bass drum, snare, conga or bongo. Mix and match strings, plates, drumheads, membranes, beams, bars, and tubes to reproduce real-life instruments or create original ones.
Perfect couples - Chromaphone is the first synthesizer that takes into account the effect of coupling between resonators. Bringing together acoustic objects, for exemple the string and soundboard at the bridge of a guitar, changes the way each of them vibrates. A proprietary technology models precisely how objects interact and exchange energy thereby capturing key acoustic behaviours of musical instruments and resulting in sounds that have a real-life presence.
The perfect stroke - Shape the attack with the Mallet module which provides the triggering impact. Use the Amplitude and Stiffness controls to craft different type of sticks, mallets, and beaters, and the Noise parameter to bring texture to the hit. All can be modulated by keyboard velocity and pitch to provide great playing dynamics.
Get noisy - Sustain is provided by a flexible noise source. An envelope generator and filters provide tailored excitation to complement impacts from the mallet. A density parameter controls the rate at which noise samples interact with the resonators from random individual particule-like hits to a fully continuous flow. Loud or quiet, bursting or evolving, dense or porous, broadband or filtered, this noise source is the key to unusual and creative effects.
With nine Sound Bank Series titles adding up to more than 1200 presets, Chromaphone 2 looks forward to spark your imagination—whenever you need it.
- Deconstruction - World-renowned artist Amon Tobin unleashes his visceral ingenuity with Deconstruction—a slab of 102 presets proposing harsh and hypnotising yet beautiful aural landscapes. The Deconstruction sound pack elevates Chromaphone 2 to Tobin's unique sonic vision—from eerie to shiny and sleek. Musically focused at its core, Deconstruction feels abstractedly imperfect and dissonant yet very structured as a whole—the culmination of Tobin's decades of evolution through experimentation. Full of haunting melodic sounds, peculiar percussion, or unsettling soundscapes, Deconstruction transports to its broken but captivating world.
- Digital Sins - Daniel Stawczyk dropped Digital Sins and everything stopped. We found ourselves enthralled in an altered universe where Chromaphone 2 acted as a classic digital synthesizer. The 144 presets definitely gave us a retro-futuristic vibe. We discovered focused, bright, metallic, and percussive sounds that we considered truly distinctive. It felt a bit unusual considering the intrinsic acoustic grain of Chromaphone 2. And we didn’t suspect we could indulge so much of the digital aesthetics with it. The excursion was a real treat.
- Multiverse - Long time AAS contributor Thiago Pinheiro delivers the highly versatile Multiverse, his first contribution to the Sound Bank Series. The 100-preset collection packs otherworldly textures, unusual melodic and percussive elements as well as a range of dynamically rich instruments that are particularly well suited for cinematic soundtracks and sound design. The synthesis expertise of acclaimed virtuoso and music technology pioneer Thiago Pinheiro is at your fingertips, with each patch overflowing with interactive possibilities and instantly useful combinations. From organic sounds to sci-fi scores, from abstract ambiences to cutting edge grooves, transitions and unique arpeggiators: surprise yourself with Multiverse’s full expression, responsiveness and sonic depth.
- Cinematix - Long time Chromaphone user Christian Laffitte sends us his first contribution to the Sound Bank Series with the high impact Cinematix. Whether it’s epic scenes or fast-paced pursuits, with its strong emphasis on monumental hits and percussions, Cinematix is sure to fuel your next score. Cinematix gathers 100 presets grouped into percussions, snares, toms, cymbals, chimes and bells, hits, strings and pads, effects, and arpeggiators.
- Epicycles - After his Microsound Textures compendium, Richard Devine revisits Chromaphone in its second incarnation and presents an unsettling and opaque collection of new sounds. The 111 Epicycles presets adventurously delve into enigmatic and uncertain lands. Nine categories structure the series of patterns and textures: Soundscapes, Basses, Plucked Strings, Keys, Synths, Strings and Pads, Percussions, Arps, and Effects.
- Synbiosis - Synbiosis is sound designer Daniel Stawczyk’s fifth volume in our Sound Bank Series and his first for Chromaphone 2. This 130-preset collection presents arpeggiators, basses, bells, keys, synths, and effects that truly exemplify what can be achieved when a sound designer works organically with a synthesizer. Wherever your destination, Synbiosis puts forward the perfect vehicle to explore the fundamental nature of Chromaphone 2.
- Microsound Textures - Microsound Textures is all about precision, details, subtlety, and complexity. Richard Devine’s idea was to use grain particles and tiny pulses to create rich and dense textures. In addition, the collection includes a wide variety of surprising and mysterious instruments ranging from light and delicate to dark and atonal. The 128 sounds are divided into five categories: Percussion, Sound Effects, Keys and Synths, Pads and Strings, and Textures and Ambience.
- Cardinals - Cardinals is sound designer and composer Simon Stockhausen´s presentation of dualism in all sort of realms. You´ll find dark and light, tonal and atonal, serenity and anxiety, and eastern and western scattered across the Achromatic and Chromatic Percussion, Danger Zone, Keys, Synths, Strings, Pads, Textures, and Scapes categories. The 109 presets encapsulate their own enclosed universe for many hours of exploration.
- KitNetix - KitNetix is a macrophonic sound bank that zooms into an intricate new world. The 128-preset collection crafted by renowned sound designer Martin Walker features drum kits made from exotic materials, percussion unleashed from reality, soundscapes from dark beginnings to glittering futures, hyper-detailed generative textures, and fantasy hybrid instruments that have never been heard before, including bells, chimes, keys, strings, and pads. Moods cover a huge range, from epic soundtrack projects via weird electronica to gentle ambient minimalism.
- Solids – Developed by renowned sound designer Francis Preve of Symplesound, Solids presents a preset collection that demonstrates the sonic versatility of Chromaphone 2. The wide range of sounds runs the gamut of essential house organs and electric pianos to cinematic textures that shimmer and evolve. A variety of electric guitar and plucked string elements, as well as an array of hyper-realistic bells and chimes, also augment the set.
- Mallets - 49 presets
- Percussions - 72 presets
- Kicks - 40 presets
- Snares - 84 presets
- Toms - 27 presets
- Hi-Hats - 25 presets
- Cymbals - 27 presets
- Chromakits - 25 presets
- Chimes and Bells - 29 presets
- Plucked Strings - 34 presets
- Basses - 33 presets
- Keys - 26 presets
- Strings and Pads - 20 presets
- Synths - 25 presets
- Organs and Pipes - 11 presets
- Soundscapes - 41 presets
- Effects - 33 presets
- Arpeggiators - 39 presets
- Arpeggiated Percussions - 34 presets
- Digital Sins EXPANSION - 144 presets
- Multiverse EXPANSION - 100 presets
- Cinematix EXPANSION - 100 presets
- Epicycles EXPANSION - 111 presets
- Synbiosis EXPANSION - 130 presets
- Microsound Textures EXPANSION - 128 presets
- Cardinals EXPANSION - 109 presets
- KitNetix EXPANSION - 128 presets
- Solids EXPANSION - 101 presets
Please click on the link below to view the download and install guide for this product.