Astonishingly sophisticated Sound-Generation Braids, by French Eurorack pioneers Mutable Instruments, is not an oscillator.
It sort of looks like one, with fine and coarse pitch/frequency controls, a v/oct input, and voltage-controllable tone/timbre controls.
It even sort of sounds like one, in as far as it outputs audio.
But it is not an oscillator.
So what is it...?
Mutable Instruments call it a macro oscillator, but even that is an understatement. It’s a hugely sophisticated digital synthesis engine, able to produce and manipulate complex sounds – classic waves from vintage synths, bells, resonant filters, plucked and bowed strings, vocals and vowel/formant sounds, wind instruments, percussion, noise, granular clouds and more – by means of 45 or so fully-realised algorithms, featuring multiple oscillators, wavetables, filters, VCAs, ring modulators, and so on under the hood.
Each mode is a different algorithm, and produces a different variety of sounds as you turn the two tone controls, Timbre and Colour. These controls are pre-programmed to do different things per algorithm, often adjusting multiple parameters in the set-up at once to tour the sweet spots. And of course they can be CV controlled.
Using the trigger input and built-in AD envelope, each algorithm can even become a self-contained synth voice. No other modules required. But bring other modules in and you can make pretty much any instrument you could imagine.
In a sense, Braids can be looked at as both an encyclopedia of classic synthesis techniques, and a tool to bring them into the present-day, with tremendous sound-quality and ease-of-use to match.
It is also shockingly, spectacularly rich, varied, and complicated, with each mode being an instrument unto itself.
- Macro oscillator featuring 40+ fully-realized digital synthesis algorithms
- Produce millions of different sounds easily – classic waves and telecoms babble, bells and whistles, percussion and ambience
- Just two controls morph through the sweet spots of each algorithm
- Great for triggered percussion
- Awesome for crazy complex waveform synthesis
- Phenomenal for glitchy out-of-control modulated sounds
- Incredibly deep, but easy to use
- It’s like a library of the greatest synth sounds of all time
- Requires Modular
Please click on the link below to view the download and install guide for this product.