Mastering compression, limiting, and de-essing without compromise. Every mastering engineer’s fondest dream is about to come true.
Since its launch in the 1990s, the Weiss DS1 has become an absolute gold-standard unit, indispensable in mastering studios around the world despite a premium price tag. Its transparency, unparalleled versatility, and exceptional sound quality make it a must-have, heard (or rather not heard) on pretty much any major record you’d care to mention from the last twenty years. And in that time updates and improvements by Weiss have led to the near-perfection of the DS1-MK3.
And now for the first time ever, it is available as a plug-in from Softube, offering more flexibility than ever in a modern DAW environment, at a fraction of the cost.
- Officially licensed and endorsed by Daniel Weiss himself.
- Not an emulation, but a line-by-line code port of the original digital hardware.
- Exactly the same processor as the $10,000 original, at a fraction of the cost.
- Three processors in one; de-ess, compress, and limit, with the industry standard tool.
- Processes at resolutions of up to 32 bit/192 kHz for exceptional sound quality.
- Advanced metering - waveform view.
- Featuring presets from Bob Katz.
- Truly versatile de-essing. Choose your own filters, adjust frequency, and tailor the process to your needs working in stereo or mid-sides.
- Digital compressor can operate at speeds no analog unit ever could, and offers you total control.
- Two brand-new advanced limiter algorithms included, as well as the Weiss original.
- Run multiple instances of this legendary unit on the same mix at no extra cost.
- Purchase of the DS1-MK3 also includes the new Weiss MM-1 intelligent Mastering Maximizer plug-in.
What is the Weiss DS1-MK3?
The fully digital compressor/limiter/de-esser performs tasks no analog unit ever could, across a wider range of settings, and allows for more detailed control of your mastering process than had been previously possible, and features presets from world-renowned mastering engineer, Bob Katz. Author of Mastering Audio (hailed by Sound on Sound magazine as ‘the definitive work on mastering’), and three times Grammy winner, he described the original unit as ‘impeccable’, saying ‘it is the most transparent, refined, flexible, and least “digital-sounding” dynamics processor I have ever used.’
An improvement on a legend
And now for the first time ever, it is available as a plug-in, offering more flexibility than ever in a modern DAW environment, at a fraction of the cost. A line-by-line code port of the digital original means this plug-in is a perfect copy of the hardware, and with the additional features and versatility made possible by software, this is an improvement on a legend.
Working at resolutions of up to 32 bit/192 kHz (an upgrade on the original hardware), de-ess your mids and sides independently. Compress with variable soft-knee settings to take you from gentle levelling all the way to aggressive crushing. And limit with simply the best, most transparent, brick wall available - including two all-new advanced limiter algorithms in addition to the Weiss original.
And with the plug-in, you don’t need the wealth of a small nation to run multiple instances of this highly-prized box. De-ess your vocals while gently compressing your guitars and limiting your master bus at the same time, all with the same top-of-the-line tool.
Purchase of the DS1-MK3 also includes the new Weiss MM-1 intelligent Mastering Maximizer plug-in.
Now you too can master like the masters, with all the loudness, clarity, and precision, and none of the drawbacks.
"The Weiss DS1-MK3 plug-in sounds exactly the same as the hardware based DS1-MK3" – Daniel Weiss, Founder of Weiss Engineering
“The DS1-MK3 hardware is as transparent as anything I’ve ever used. It’s refined, ergonomic, and flexible. It’s not ‘digital-sounding’… That’s a very rare quality in a digital processor." - Bob Katz, Mastering Engineer
“The DS1 compressor software is nearly identical to the hardware unit. You guys nailed the design on this one.” – Howie Weinberg, Mastering Engineer Superstar (Nirvana, Tom Waites, The White Stripes)
“I must say I am extremely impressed with both of Weiss DS1-MK3 and MM1 plug-ins. The DS1-MK3 is probably one of the most impressive compressor limiter combo plugins I have heard. So transparent, and allows you so much control. The mid/side parallel comp functions are incredible. Its a dream come true to have this on my master bus now.” – Richard Devine, Electronic artist and music producer (Warp, Schematic)
Please click on the link below to view the download and install guide for this product.