Frendo is a custom-built Soundiron instrument. Soundiron created this monster by stringing bailing wire around and through steel plates and bolts, over galvanised steel piping and across wood planks. It was meant to suffer. You can help it by mistreating it in horrible ways with screwdrivers, bows, drum sticks, mallets and fingers. The instrument holds a vast amount of otherworldly sounds, which is ideal for composers looking for new disturbing, horror-like textures for their scores. Frendo is partially a mallet instrument, recorded with wooden and rubber mallets, but is also a more traditional string instrument, since we recorded finger plucks and bows. It's the sound of Satan's cello, weeping softly for your burning soul.
Made of knotty pine, rusted steel bailing wire, eye bolts, hooks, deck screws, hurricane brackets and an old 24" bass drum, this 5-stringed son of a b*tch was 8 feet long and 3 feet wide. The body had a 2"6 spine and two separate body segments to allow torquing and bending while the instrument was played. It was strung with black iron bailing wire, wound over galvanised steel angle brackets and plates and through heavy gauge eye bolts that they used as tuners, by way of a pipe wrench.
Soundiron played it with a violin bow, screwdrivers, rubber and wooden mallets, picks, hands and fingers and have provided an array of custom controls, presets, effects and tools to allow total sonic freedom and control over the sound. This library is a unique tuned percussion and string instrument in it's own right, but also makes excellent effect and sound design material for stingers, trailers, reveals, slates, post production and any number of other specialized production uses.
This library was originally released in 2008 by Tonehammer. For the Soundiron version 2.0 update, they improved key-mapping and overall playability, added a full set of brand new automatable performance, DSP FX, convolution reverb and advanced arpeggiator controls and refined the overall playing experience. The new Convolution Reverb effect features 73 select custom impulse responses, featuring some of our favorite recording halls and some rather unusual custom FX impulses.
- Two stereo microphone positions (heads – internal mics), (tail – external big hall mics)
- Wooden mallets: "tuned", 3-4 velocity layers, 10x round-robin
- Rubber mallets: "tuned", 5 velocity layers, 10x round-robin
- Finger plucks: "tuned", 1-3 velocity layers, 6x round-robin
- Bowed FX: bow scrapes, staccato notes, 1-3 velocity layers, 6x – 9x round-robin
- Bowed high notes: stabs and sustains, 1-3 velocity layers, 4x round-robin
- Bowed low notes: stabs and sustains, tuned and un-tuned, 6x round-robin and looping "legato" patches
- Bowed tremolo: effects and sustains, with fast, medium and slow variations
- Screwdriver slides: long and short
- 3 large sound Effects patches, including creaks, cracks, groans, tuning twangs and sproings
- All recorded with natural acoustics in our tile, glass and stone hall or from inside the Frendo resonance chamber itself
SUMMARY OF FEATURES
- Product Version 2.0
- 990 MB Installed
- 1,100 Samples
- 30 Kontakt 3.5 .nki instrument presets
- 24 bit / 44.1 kHz uncompressed PCM wav audio
- Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
- Includes a bonus collection of custom sound-designed ambiences, drones and special FX presets, as well as our favorite custom convolution reverb impulses and an advanced Kontakt user interface with full automation support.